Szechuan peppercorns are renowned for making your mouth tingle. They make for a really fun beef jerky.
Check out Fresh Off the Grid for tips and tricks about making good beef jerky: https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/simple-beef-jerky-recipe/
- 2 Tbsp Szechuan peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1/4 inch fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup Shaoxing cooking wine
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp regular soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp hickory liquid smoke
- 2 lbs lean cut of beef, sliced thinly
Mix up the marinade in a gallon ziplock bag. Add the sliced beef. Marinate in the fridge at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Cook in a dehydrator at 165° for 3-5 hours. Check it after a few hours and pull it out of the dehydrator when the jerky is as cooked and pliable as you like.